Sunday, August 22, 2010

Random Stuff

Random thoughts

Completing Tevis was the culmination of almost 4 years of work. I had not had a horse previously that I felt could do the job so I never really considered it. In 2006, I had the chance to see Tevis for myself when I helped the Bowens of California (I was chief rig mover!). I repeated the trip in 2007 and crewed for Paul Sidio and Ron Chapman. All 4 completed which made the experiences all the better.

I bought Boomer in late April 2006, an impulse buy at an auction that I went to in order to people and horse watch. I’d done well in August 2004 at a different auction when I bought Eclipse on a whim. I didn’t realize that not only could lightning strike twice and I get lucky a 2nd time in getting a sane rideable horse, but that I’d end up with a horse that could go 100 miles. I think the first few rides on Boomer was when I thought “hmmm, Tevis horse?” and from there, the goal was set.

Despite some setbacks and hurdles, we did get there and the experience was far more than I imagined it would be. Boomer outperformed my expectations and finished looking far better than I had thought he would. I am not so sure now that we’d have finished in 2008 when Tevis was cancelled and I did the Big Horn as an alternative. Things do happen for a reason.

I’ve always been one to do things differently from others. I do march to my own drumbeat; always have, always will. It’s just the way I am. I’ve learned that to wait for the right time, right place, right whatever can often leave you never doing something you’ve longed to do. Do we every have enough time or money? I won’t try to figure out how much my Tevis quest has cost me. Far more than the $1400 a Western States 100 runner commented that he spent in his race this year. He wasn’t sure it was worth it, even though he finished his race. And all for a belt buckle?!! It is silly when you think of it that way. I know I could have spent that money on more practical things to include training for Anglos. However, I may never again have the opportunity to do such a thing. Time, age, horse issues, etc, etc, etc, all get in the way of getting to such a ride. It was time to take the chance. I’m thankful that the endurance deities smiled down on me and Boomer on that day.

During the ride, I thought many times that I would NEVER do it again. I said the same thing for the Big Horn as the trip across the slick rock in the dark was terrifying. It took me months to even think about doing the Big Horn again. Tevis only took me a day or so before I started thinking that maybe I’d like to do it again once day. Funny how fast the feeling of sure terror abated! But now I can understand how Tevis repeatedly calls to some riders and why they come back year after year. It is unlike any other ride I’ve done.

So, bottom line, if there is something you really want to do in life, make a plan and get going. Avoid the naysayers and the negative thoughts. You may be amazed to find that you can do it and end up with memories to last a lifetime.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Debbie, so right, timing in life is everything. The Tevis trail is a trail that keeps drawing you back. I will get back one day. Awesome ride for you and Boomer, congrads on your finish!

Michelle said...

That last paragraph is so true! Thanks for the reminder.